Saturday, May 23, 2015

Decorating One Weekend in October

First thing on a Saturday morning, I wired on the new pumpkin LED light strings to the plastic chain I had ordered and wove it around the top of the fence. I need another length of chain, probably two for sure and already ordered the 4 more strands of LED lights to complete it.
Normally, I wouldn't want such a bright light like that, it's too happy, but I need kids to find this and to be able to see it from far off. I plan on doing this until I get my own place and will do this probably the first year or two until I get a good crowd. Then I can remove them and put them away or use them elsewhere. I am wanting to really create more of a spooky atmosphere, very creepy and Poe-macabre style. But until I am settled and can do that and yet still have people find me, I have to use the bright lights.

We had a stroke of luck however with the military base community as they are offering a haunted hay rides and guess where it's at? Yup, just down the street from me so that means everyone will have to go by my place now which is awesome! They put up this sign just when you get thru the gate and then it points the way down the street and then another sign points them up the hill right past my house! I will get plenty of traffic then from the military community. Wonderful! Of course, I'd love to help out with their haunted hayride and may go peek about there if I can get some time.

I have rounded up some wire coat hangers so I can start to build the 3 monster trolls for the haunted cave. I hope to get those done in the next couple of weeks--but ended up saving them for 2015.




The 4 extra fence pieces came in and so we got them put in as well now, completing the cemetery. I took out the cutesy tombstones (2 of them) and replaced them with more of my creepy ones, completely filling in the graveyard. Got the newest tombstone out there too that I made with the Davis Family during one of their classes. The wind kicked up tho' and bent/broke the garden stakes I used to help it stand up. The ground is just really awful here, very rocky and sandy and so doesn't really hold well. So I had to take it in and will set it out there on Halloween. I sanded down the Gorilla Glue I used to glue in the pvc pipe and painted the back. There must have been a crack in the pvc cause the Gorilla Glue got in there and clogged it up and I had to tap in a garden stake back and for to get some of it out. I still need to redo a lot of my tombstones, but just don't have the time to devote to them at this point. It's a job to do over the off season months and perhaps I might be able to get to it then.




Organized the garage to get all the pvc fittings moved to inside the inner wall to be readily available for when we set up the front entrance. I will have to do a trial run with the front entrance however to be sure we have enough sheets and all that jazz. Will do that in a couple weeks.

I corpsed the skeletons this weekend too. Don't they look awesome!? What I love about these is that they don't all look exactly alike. They are all different depending on how the plastic bags are melted on them. 








We did put together a tomb to house the projector, receiver for the outdoor speaker and iPod for the singing pumpkins display. Came out pretty good!




Splooged some more brown craft paper and got more of the walls up in the haunted cave itself. Also added the skinny long black table so I can hide all the giveaways and extra candy. I got the gift bags in so I can start to put those together once I round up all the novelty items I had picked up last year and what I picked up this year.




I did get those paper cupcake boxes and am going to make some cupcakes but I am unsure about it here as the lady at the community center kinda frowned on it as she said all the candy and such goes thru an x-ray. I am ok with that and don't let kids take those unless their parents are with them, tho' I know some get them anyway. So I decided not to do any cupcakes, which is a bummer but I can understand. I am lucky I got away with it in Texas.

So just catching up here on the blog, been a while since I've posted anything and wanted to get some of my old drafts out there. :) I still have a lot more yet to share coming up!! :)

*bugs n hisses*

No comments:

Post a Comment