Monday, October 3, 2011

Apple-Cranberry Crisp

Not necessarily Halloween, but for this time of the year, I enjoy making and eating this favorite that I found in a Quaker Oats brochure. I hope you may enjoy it as well!


Apple Cranberry Crisp


1 1/2 cups Quaker Oats (Not the quick cooking type, the regular old fashioned kind)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup Crisco(shortening), melted
1 Tablespoon Water


Filling
16 oz can Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
5 cups peeled, sliced, & cored apples (about 10 medium, I use Granny Smith).




Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
For Topping: Combine first 4 ingredients. Mix well.
 
Stir in melted Crisco & water, mix until crumbly. Set aside. (I often double this part for I adore the crunchy part on top).




Cut and peel apples and mix with a wee bit of lemon juice to stop the browning from being exposed to the air.

For Filling: Combine cranberry sauce and cornstarch in large sauce pan/pot, mix well. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes or until sauce bubbles. 



Add apples, tossing to coat.



Spread in 9x13 glass baking dish. Crumble topping over fruit.
Bake 25-35 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm with whipped cream or Cool Whip or with ice cream if desired.



Makes 9 servings.


I love this ice cold too in the fridge and with Cool Whip is just awesome! You can play with this recipe a bit and often I will double it or just add a few more apples to be sure I have enough to fill the pan. It's a great fall food!

No comments:

Post a Comment