Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday the 13th

What could be more perfect to start this day, Friday the 13th, with watching the original, Friday the 13th movie!?

Did you know that Friday the 13th movies, have their very own dedicated website!?


The very first one came out in 1980 with the intent to follow up on the great scary Halloween movie released in 1978!

There are 12 of these films:

Friday the 13th,
Friday the 13th, Part 2
Friday the 13th, Part III
Friday the 13th, The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
Jason X
Freddy vs. Jason
Friday the 13th (2009)

I stopped watching or got lost as to which one I left off at somewhere after The Final Chapter. I think I saw a couple others, bits and pieces of the others, no telling now as one seemed to blur into another for me.

But I distinctly remember going to the movies when the first one came out. (Yes, I am that old! LOL)
I was in 10th grade and my friend and her mom and I went to go see it one night, probably on a Friday night it was. I absolutely loved it too! It was scary for us kids back then and we jumped multiple times and they even screamed a few times or at least made some startled gasps and noises!
The best part however, was afterwards....yes, after the movie was over and my friend's mom had to drive me home.....muuhhahahaaaha....
You see, I lived back in the woods along a small creek in Pennsylvania. The winding road went up and down and around and there are no street lights, only the eerie glow of the moon peeking through the trees and shining eerie shadows into the night. I was in the backseat of their car and my friend sat up front with her mom. As we got to a particularly dark area of the road, I leaned forward and whispered in that low sing-song chant that we all know is probably one of the spookiest, scariest sounds, at least back then it was....

CH-CH-CH-CH-CH-AAAH--AAHH--AAAHHHH!!!!

Oh man!! They jumped and laughed and fussed at me!! LMAO! It was sooo funny! :)
Ok, so you had to be there...back in 1980....ahahaha...

So just what is that sound suppose to be? Here is an explanation from IMDb of how they got that sound effect:
"Composer Harry Manfredini has said that contrary to popular belief, the famous "chi chi chi, ha ha ha" in the film's score is actually "ki ki ki, ma ma ma". It is meant to resemble Jason's voice saying "kill kill kill, mom mom mom" in Mrs. Voorhees' mind. It was inspired by the scene in which Mrs. Voorhees seems to be possessed by Jason and chants "Get her mommy....kill her!" Manfredini created the effect by speaking the syllables "Ki" and "Ma" into a microphone running through a delay effect."

Although Kane Hodder is best known for playing Jason, having played him several times, I got to meet Derek Mears, who played Jason for the 2009 remake when I was at Scarefest last year in Lexington, KY!


It is wild to see Kevin Bacon in this first movie. I forget he is in it.
This movie only took 28 days of filming. After I saw it, it kinda gave me the woogies next time our family went up camping at Schroon River in NY as the beach with the floating dock and lake with the woods all around, felt very similar to the setting of this movie. But unlike the movie, we never had a serial killer coming after us, just a friendly game amongst us kids of Kick the Can and Uno and Checkers.
Of course, I wouldn’t recommend this movie for kids at all. The teens are having sex and it’s pretty obvious and although it is an 80s movie, it’s still pretty bloody and graphic.


Possible reasons why people think Friday the 13th is unlucky, check out this link:


I know of several hotels that refuse to have a 13th floor or even a 13th room.
Despite all of that, many people I know now, including myself, find that 13 is actually a lucky number and I believe it is really about psyching yourself out. If you think it’s unlucky, it will be or you will attribute anything and everything towards the unluckiness of the day.
Believe it is lucky and it will be. Power of positive thinking.

Of course, I wouldn’t go camping at Camp Crystal Lake on Friday the 13th…. ;)


Or would I? 

Now if you are wanting a good scare and are here in the DFW area, just for your fright pleasure, Moxley Manor Haunted House is open tonight for the first night of the season! Check them out! Even if you have visited before, check them out again for it isn’t the same as what you remember….this haunt is always creating and updating and twisting and turning so that each time you visit, you just never know what might be lurking around the corner, waiting for you…..muuuahahahaa!!
Happy Friday the 13th!

Bugs n Hisses!




No comments:

Post a Comment