Thursday, August 11, 2011

Favorite Pumpkin Pie Recipe

I love making pumpkin pie in the fall and around the holidays. For the past several years instead of a birthday cake, my daughter has asked me to make her a pumpkin pie. :)
She loves the pumpkin pie I make and it's not totally from scratch as I don't use the little pumpkins just for baking, I go with the good ol' Libby's Canned Pumpkin.

The recipe for this is on the back of the can but I'll copy it here! It's amazing and my all time favorite as well!

Famous Pumpkin Pie
(Makes 8 servings)

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 large Eggs
1 can (15 oz) Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin (Note here, be sure you do use the pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie mix)
1 can (12 fl. oz) CARNATION Evaporated Milk
1 unbaked 9-inch (4 cup volume) deep-dish pie shell (I use Mrs. Smith's or Pet-Ritz)

MIX sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

POUR into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F; bake 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

NOTE: Do not freeze pie, as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.
1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice may be substituted for the cinnamon, ginger, and cloves, however, the taste will be slightly different.


I never use the pumpkin pie spice as they are correct, it will taste different and just not the same.
If I don't have a deep dish pie shell, I will use two shallow pie shells but just bake it a lil less time. We do prefer the deep dish pie shell however, either Mrs. Smith's or Pet-Ritz as I like to use a name brand I recognize.

Do be sure and check the expiration dates of your ingredients too. It will make a big difference in the taste of your pumpkin pie.
We also like to put the pie in the fridge for several hours once it has cooled enough. Even better is overnight so it gets really chilled.
Add some Cool Whip and it's just awesome!

If you follow those directions, you will have a really delicious pumpkin pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment