Thursday, August 4, 2011

A note of my preferences on Halloween props

Over the years, I have become a huge Halloween enthusiast. Call me a nut or creepy or haunted even but I seem to have become really focused on creating that perfect creepy, atmosphere for Halloween night! With that said, I felt urged to create this blog and start to review some of the props and items I pick up along the way for those of you out there who are wanting to do something similiar for your own Halloween haunt!


I often have my neighbors drive slowly by my house in the month of October as I begin to set up something new nearly every day if not every weekend at the very least. Many will wave or stop to say how they are so excited and looking forward to coming by my place on Halloween night or to say how good it is looking so far. We do have a contest in my neighborhood although I don't normally win it because many of my props do not get put out there until Halloween day itself so that I don't have to worry of anything being stolen.


What my neighbors do not see is that I really started in September, inside my garage! That's where I have created a Haunted Cave and start to put it together as early as September. This stops me and my family from feeling overwhelmed with it all as I do a little decorating and working on things each weekend.


Many props, I have made myself. I am not into the gory, bloody part of Halloween too much. I fancy myself more along the lines of Edgar Allan Poe and the macabre! That is more creepy and scary to me than a bucket of blood.


With so many great props coming out each year, it is so very tempting to waver from the theme that I am trying to create. I have deviated slightly but eventually, as I try out props each year, I will discard, give away pieces that just didn't work out. Even this past year, I picked up an assortment of lenticular pictures, those holographic moving/changing portraits that alter as you look at them at a different angle. Doesn't really go with a cave, but I loved them! I am not sure what I will do with them exactly but I am sure I will figure something out.


I do have a graveyard out front on the lawn and many of those tombstones I have made myself out of thick styrofoam that a friend got for free for me and I painted them myself and wrote a few of the epitaphs while others are from famous poets. I lean towards the poets for my graveyard or a few of the more well known people.


Ok enough rambling for now about my props! :) Lets move on to the newest acquisitions!

1 comment: