Thursday, August 4, 2011

Haunted Tree Man

These have to be one of my favorite props! I bought two of these from Spirit Halloween a couple years ago. I had gotten one of them on discount although I can't remember the reason, but when I got them, I was just ecstatic! They are over 5 foot tall and made of wire, styrofoam and what looks and feels like colored thin garden tape. It sits on a pole that fits into a square black stand. The arms and legs/trunk are bendable so you can pose it as you wish.

Recently, I saw an ad on BuyCostumes' site for a BOGO! Buy One, Get One free on all their clearance items and guess what was in their clearance section? Yup! The Haunted Tree Men!!! I was like oooOOoohh these normally run about $100 apiece! I've always wanted at least one more and visions of creating a whole forest of these guys really got me excited!

I tend towards odd number of things rather than even so I can stagger better and not be so balanced. But, in this case, I went ahead and ordered two of them! I got them in just last week!

Taking them out of the box, the legs/trunk are shoved up inside the rib cage and you have to pull it out, carefully. The tape on these tree men is not too secure in some places and it can tear and loosen. I don't mind this because I got to see how it was made and it also meant that I could easily do simple upkeep on them too! I learned how to do floral design and worked with sticky green floral tape a long time ago when I sold Home Interiors and so it would be a cinch to fix up any spot where the styrofoam might be showing thru. These particular men do not have any areas that look like I need to touch them up or work on them. Tag still in place, they are brand new.


They do not light up at all but for those who might want to, it would not be hard to insert two led lights from behind into the eye sockets. I won't do this myself, only because I don't like to jeopardize the integrity of the piece and I think that it would be better and more creepier to not have lights in the eyes. On suggestion of my neighbor's grandson however, I did order a color changing glowing heart that I will be wiring inside the chest of each Haunted Tree Man. At first, I didn't think it would be a good idea to have a heart inside it. He had suggested a gory, beating heart, but I found the glowing hearts that change color instead and I thought of how creepy that would be to see when you enter the dark tunnel.

These Haunted Tree Men also have some long straw hair and a few bits of creepy material hanging off them like spanish moss. They are on the top of the list for one of the creepiest props!! I highly recommend them!

You can also find half of a Haunted Tree Man that you would hang instead of having the stand and pole.  I like the stand and they are great to place in areas that need filler and add depth and atmosphere! I would not use them outside however. I am not too sure how they would hold up to the weather and I know for me, I would have to stake them down as I get high winds whipping across my graveyard. So these are better off being protected within my garage as part of the entrance to the Haunted Cave.

I love the versatility however of these guys. You could easily add things like lights or spiderwebs or just about anything! I plan on placing a few lighted strobes to illuminate them at a glance as well as the hearts inside their chests. I think it will have a most creepy effect!

No comments:

Post a Comment