Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lughnasadh 2011

I would be remiss if I did not speak about Lughnasadh. August 1st marked the day of this sabbat, another fire festival for Pagans, celebrating the Sun God, Lugh. The word means the commemoration of Lugh. It is the time that marks the start of the harvest. Lugh was the leader of the Tuatha De Danann in Irish legend. My ancestry dates back to the Tuatha De Danann and the Sidhe.

I have always felt a bit special in that my birthday, July 31st, is on Lughnasadh eve. This year, we also had yet another Dark Moon occur on Saturday and Sunday night, lending power to the special time of the year as well. It is a time of beginnings and endings and yet, with all endings, come beginnings again.

This is the time of reaping and revelling in the pinnacle of summer. Realizing the reality of life and death as summer reaches it's high point and knowing that soon, it will be fading off and the cooler times of Autumn will be upon us and thereby, the death, in a way, of many things. To me however it is not a true death, but a sleep instead. Preparing for the long winter ahead, the dark times, many things go dormant and go to sleep only to reawaken once again in the spring. The cycle of life.

Again, there is much dancing and celebrating at this time of the year.

I won't go into a lot of detail and rewrite what so many other wonderful sites have out there on each of these celebrations. So I'll just be touching on them lightly.

For me, I was on vacation, at the beach and enjoying the ocean in the heat of the day this year in celebration. Water has such a calming, soothing effect and I definitely needed to feel that at this time. I arose very early to watch the sunrise up over the Atlantic ocean and took some video that was just simply gorgeous! I always wish I had more time to go swimming. I normally don't go down to Ocean City, Maryland, I tend to lean towards the Jersey shore and I'll be posting of it over on the Travel blog that I need to get busy with. :)

This Lughnasadh was bittersweet for me but I was touched by all those who wished me a Happy Birthday. :)

I also got to thinking about something someone said to me last week on the phone about all that I have accomplished thus far in my life and sometimes, I forget just how much I have and Lughnasadh was a good time to reflect on that. I also reminded myself of those things I have neglected and that I do need to get back to and already, I am taking the time and strides to do just that. :)

Today, I won a book from Moon Books on Facebook,"Old Gods New Druids"  and I look forward to receiving it! So a big thank you to them for their generosity in giving away such wonderful books! I love to read more of my ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment